About this work
Opus 5 No 1 "Strew on her Roses" sets the text of the poem "Requiescat" by Matthew Arnold. The song is dedicated to the Bristol Madrigal Society, where CBR's father Daniel Wilberforce Rootham (1837-1922) was musical director for 50 years.
Originally published by Boosey & Co in 1899, the sheet music for this part-song has been out of print for many years. But we have recently been able to typeset the music and hope to publish it in 2017.
About this recording
This performance was recorded at a concert given by The Treasury Singers at St Margaret's Church on 18 November 2016. You can download the full programme with helpful notes.
As part of their concert The Treasury Singers also performed another CBR part-song: you can also listen to Rootham's Opus 5 No 2 "Love and Laughter".
- Soprano: Sheila Barker, Caroline Borg, Isobel Clarke, Sara Dobson, Debbie Edwards, Stephanie Post, Penny Russell, Clare Salters, Eirian Walsh Atkins, Christine Wilson
- Alto: Jane Knight, Jean Seglow, Judith Simpson, Cicely Taylor, Victoria Ware, Priscilla Wingate-Saul
- Tenor: Ed Davison, Conal O'Hare, Michael Richardson, Jonathan Williams
- Bass: Mike Lock, Neil Pirie, Peter Rowe, Steve Tatler, Neville Trout
- Organist: Nathaniel Keiller A.R.C.O.
- Conductor: William Ormerod